If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.
― Nelson Mandela
- HSK1 and HSK 2 only contain listening and reading.
- HSK1 consists of 20 questions on listening ( true or false & MCQs ) and 20 MCQs in reading comprehension.
- In this test, all characters are provided with PinYin
HSK3 to HSK6
- These levels require students to demonstrate a good command of the Chinese language
- HSK3 to HSK6 consist of listening, reading, and writing
- Characters are provided in simplified Chinese characters without PinYin
In May’20, HSK official has announced that there will be reform in the HSK tests. As per the new changes, a hybrid paradigm of ” Three stages and Nine levels” characterized by integration
HSK levels, words, and characters one would learn and language level one can achieve as below in the existing format and the new format
How to register for HSK Exam? Open the website – http://www.chinesetest.cn/ Register yourself and login to
your account. Once logged in, you can register, enrolling, and also more details about the HSK and related Chinese language proficiency tests. If you want to be familiar with question types of HSK test, you can also find on this website.
How to prepare for the HSK exam? If someone is really passionate to learn the Chinese language and prepare for the HSK examination, I would give some tips for effective preparation and achieving success in the exam.
- Choosing the right HSK level is important. One should choose HSK level 1 if you are a beginner. This level vocabulary gives necessary words and characters which are building blocks to next level HSK tests.
- First of all understand the PinYin concept and how the Chinese words can be represented by English alphabets, which are generally called PinYin
- Try to learn the phonics of each of the PinYin alphabets and its tones.
- Learn the basics of Chinese tones and try practicing the words with various tones loudly, so that you can listen to your own pronunciation.
- Download PLECO app which will help a lot while preparation,
- For HSK level 1, there are 150 words. Try to understand each word, its pinyin, pronunciation, and type the Pinyin to get the Chinese character as shown in the below video.
If you practice each word as the above procedure, you will learn the word, its Pinyin, its pronunciation and most importantly you can also remember its Chinese character. 8. Practice each work, revise the words frequently, practice typing each word, try to identify each word. Once you are confident of each book helpful for the preparation of HSK tests which I used for my preparation while I started my journey of learning Chinese in 2015
For HSK level 1 – HSK Standard Course 1 – Textbook
Just to wrap up before closing this article, I hope you learned the existing HSK test format, New format which is going to get implemented in the future. It is not hard to crack the HSK examination if you are systematically learning the vocabulary, applying to sentences, involve in real-time discussions with your native Chinese friends, make your own flashcards and revise the new words frequently. I hope this article is useful to you. Please do contact me if any further clarification or guidance on it.
The below weblinks one can download the HSK test papers
- HSK 1 Chinese Exam including Answers
- HSK2 Chinese Exam including Answers
- HSK 3 Chinese Exam including Answers
- HSK 4 Chinese Exam incl Audio and Answers
- HSK5 Chinese Exam with Audio and Answer
- HSK6 Chinese Exam incl Audio, Answers
You can also email me to murali (at) murali (dot) today for connecting me personally.
My social media pages on one page – http://www.murali.today/social
Please follow me on my Social media –